Wednesday 4 February 2015

Clockwork Dragon: Dragon Design

Next up in 'The Making of The Clockwork Dragon' is Dragon Design. This was tricky.

My original design for the clockwork dragon (see below) was a bit too finished looking. The story says that the two kids pretty much
built it overnight out of bits of scavenged armour so maybe it would be a good idea to see some of that armour in the dragon? So for the sake of research I went to the Herstmonceux Medieval Fair (never have I seen so much mead in one place) where there was no end of reenactors strutting out in armour for me to draw.

Armed with my new found knowledge I added a lot more knives to the dragon and I think it was much improved.

Flamethrottle, the villain of the piece, was a lot easier. I wanted him to look like he'd let himself go a bit and stopped going to the gym, wasn't a frequent bather and if he spoke he'd have the voice of Alan Rickman. I can only hope I've achieved all those things. 


You can buy The Clockwork Dragon here.

The finished Clockwork Dragon from the book.
The first design for the Clockwork Dragon.
A page from my sketch of observation drawings of slightly mad reenactors.
The final design for the Clockwork Dragon.
The finished Flamethrottle from the book.
My first sketch of Flamethrottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment